Many book authors think social media will be the solution to selling their books. Unfortunately, social media alone will not sell your book. You need a great plan, a catchy hook for your book to get people interested, and a few other key strategies to attract buyers and get readers.

In this video, Julie Broad of Book Launchers reveals why social media isn’t a stand alone solution for you to sell more books and gives you 5 practical tips to sell more books.

You can also download the free gameplan mentioned in the video here:

Watch more videos on self publishing your book here:

Subscribe for weekly videos about self publishing from Julie Broad:

If you are interested in self publishing your book, visit Julie Broad website:

Or feel free to connect with her on social media:

Transcript of Social Media Won’t Sell Your Books – 5 Things that Will video:

β€œ
If you’re thinking social media is gonna be the solution to sell your book, stick around.
I’ve got a few thoughts on that for you.

A lot of authors come to me thinking social media is how they’re going to sell their book,
but social media isn’t a catch all solution to sell your book.

FIRST:
First, you need a plan to sell your book from the start. Your book, it needs a hook.
To know what will hook your readers, you need to know who your readers are.

SECOND:
You need to figure out where those people are hanging out.
Even though there are two billion people on Facebook, it’s not always the best platform to reach your readers.

Surprise.

For some types of books, you’re gonna find readers hanging out on Goodreads, but a lot of times, you’re actually gonna find them offline, at conferences, trade shows.

They might be reading magazines or frequenting certain types of businesses in your area,
or they might be searching for solutions on videos or podcasts.

Social media might be the answer, but there may be better ways to find your ideal reader.

THIRD:
Consider who you know. The success of my first book More Than Cashflow was entirely as a result of the support of a handful of key people in the Canadian real estate industry.

Their support, promoting my book to all of their audience, is the reason it went to number one overall on Amazon.

Without them, when I was promoting the book to my audience, I was able to break the top 100 overall, but it was because of them that I hit number one.

Tim Ferriss, he launched The Four Hour Workweek to massive best selling status a little over 10 years ago now, using relationships that he’d built with bloggers.

If you’re at platinum level of Book Launchers, we pitch your book to bloggers and podcasters
on your behalf, and we’ll get you some exposure, but the people who are going to help you the most will know you personally.

If you want your book to do well, make sure you’re building relationships, adding value, and supporting people in your industry so that they will do the same when the time comes for you and your book.

FOURTH:
Develop your own list. Social media is not a catchall solution, as I mentioned.
You’re squatting.

You actually don’t own these contacts.
You get to use them, but at the end of the day, make sure you own your own list, so drive people to your website.

Connect with them, collect their emails, and then use social media for multiple touch points.

At any time, the owner of the property, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube,
they can decide that they no longer like the way you’re using their property and throw you out.

If they do that, and you haven’t been building your own connections on your website, you’ll lose everything, so make sure you’re connecting with people in other ways, where you can control the list and you own it, and then use social media to supplement your book marketing strategy.

FIFTH:
Whatever you do, make sure you have other ways to connect and contact your potential readers. These folks will be the most likely to buy your book, spread the word for you,
and help with early reviews.

Bottom line, social media offers a way for readers to interact with you. It’s a great way to stay top of mind and build connections, but for social media to work, you must know who you’re writing for, what’s going to get their attention, and find a way to get yourself in front of those people.

Best of luck with your book, and if you want help figuring out who you’re writing for and have support through the entire self-publishing process, book a call with me.

I’m happy to chat to see if we’re a fit to help you write, publish, and promote your bookβ€œ

• Teacher 2 Mommy

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

What about Facebook ads and Instagram ads…do you think there is value in those??

• Inquire98

I like your spirit 😁

• Antonio Dos Santos

Thanks….

• Antonio Dos Santos

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Interesting..(secret…I think ..finally l have the hook)

• Antonio Dos Santos

Key people…

• Antonio Dos Santos

Hello…..Julie…El inmigrante venezolano

• MC Rheaume

Great content ! Thanks

• TechNepal

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

What about mine? will it reach to the readers?

• Arolema Prarath

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Important question. How about YouTube? Making Ads on YouTube? Should my publishers do the advertisement on YouTube? Thanks again!πŸ˜‡πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸŽˆ

• Tony Buitrago

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

What exactly is book launchers?

• David Cooper

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

'Who your writing for' should be 'who you're writing for' I think.

• Zoya Azeeza

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Do you want advice me to sell my book on my website or Amazon ?

• Alex Hammer

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Can I hire you to sell more books? Alexhammerbooks.com. You are excellent.

• TheConservativeMidwife

This is great news, because I hate social media LoL

• Abba Jude

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Does Amazon approve people doing marketing videos on their books and uploading on social media? Am I also allowed to send marketing emails?

• Fatmeh

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Can I get a contact with you please

• Nouredine Mama

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

OMG this is so amazing. Hey, I self published my book lately and everything seems new. It has been about a month that I really don't know how to get the book to the audience then I asked myself why not seek for help online. I saw three of your videos and seem astonishing.

I am Nouredine and I wrote a motivational book because a saw the need of such a book in my community. However I don't know how to proceed. Maybe with your help I will take that step required for me to grow. I will really like us to talk through zoom so that I get further help. Please I hope you will consider my offer. Thank you for this wonderful video.

• MrFirehouse22

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Just published my first novel (MELCHIZEDEK) on Amazon and lulu. I have my own website with links to the publishing sites. Over a three month period I paid for Google Ads, Facebook ads (I also went on a lot of Facebook promotion pages) and Amazon ad campaigns (regular and Kindle subscribers). The Google ads brought a ton of people to the site, but very few purchased the books on Amazon or Lulu through that route. Facebook got all of my loyal folks excited and a few others but that was all. Even the regular ads on Amazon didn't do much. The only thing that has worked so far is the Kindle Direct option that allows subscribers in their program to read the book. Those people are active readers. I realize now I should have advertised through Kindle Direct FIRST as those readers also leave reviews on Amazon where others don't. The reviews lift your book up through the Amazon ranks and get your book seen more and I think more people who went to the publisher sites from my own website would have purchased the book if there had been more reviews when I first started the Google ads. $1,000 down the tubes. Won't make that mistake next time. Hope this helps someone out.

• Nathan Lawson

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

While I'm still working on my book I did already create a Twitter and I am already starting to get concerned. I avoided common mistakes but I just can't seem to get pass 440 followers. I comment, I engage with people, and I retweet and I hardly even get any likes and comments on return. I know that I still have a ways to go before my book is published but I am already growing concerned.

• HANG DARA

So amazing πŸ˜‰

• Michael Tavon

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

This is so inaccurate omg i literally sell all of my books via social media

• Signette D

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

What is the secret to writing so many books a year? i just published my first and it seems like everyone is publishing several books a year. How do you do that? How do you write so fast? By using some special programs? What is the secret to publishing many books? I

• Signette D

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

My customers are in churches I notice, as I just published a spiritual book. πŸ™‚

• Michael Mickey Williams, Jr

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

This is much need information I did a video on this topic to, thanks so much

• Sampath Raju

π™·πš’,
    πšƒπš‘πšŠπš—πš”πšœ πšπš˜πš› πšπš‘πšŽ πšŸπš’πšπšŽπš˜.
    𝙸 πš πš˜πš—'𝚝 πš–πšŠπš”πšŽ πš–πš˜πš—πšŽπš’ πš˜πš— πšŽπš‹πš˜πš˜πš”.
    π™Έπšœ πšπš‘πšŽπš›πšŽ πšŠπš—πš’ πš˜πš™πšπš’πš˜πš—πšœ πš•πš’πš”πšŽ. π™°πšžπšπš‘πš˜πš› 𝚘𝚏 πšπš‘πšŽπš›πšŽ πš˜πš πš— πš™πš›πš’πš—πš πš™πšπš 𝚝𝚘 πšŽπ™±πš˜πš˜πš” πšŒπš˜πš—πšŸπšŽπš›πšœπš’πš˜πš—? 𝙸 am πšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 πš™πš›πš’πš—πš πš™πšπš 𝚝𝚘 πšŽπ™±πš˜πš˜πš” πš πš’πšπš‘ πš‹πšŽπšœπš πššπšžπšŠπš•πš’πšπš’ πš’πš— πšƒπ™°πšƒ. π™Έπš πšŠπš—πš’ πš˜πš—πšŽ πš’πšœ πšπš‘πšŽπš›πšŽ πš™πš•πšŽπšŠπšœπšŽ πš•πšŽπš πš–πšŽ πš”πš—πš˜πš . πšƒπš‘πšŠπš—πš”πšœ

• John Glass

Wonderful stuff!

• Jyothi M K

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Thanks Ms.Julie …I am a subscriber of your videos and your videos really helped me to promote my book, "THE JOURNEY OF ZASHA (BY ADITHI.R)". https://amzn.in/8Tk5cXO (please read and support).

• Amy Land

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

I have written 6 children's books I'm having a hard time marketing them. I have more on the way. Any help would be great and appreciated thank you Amy land

• The Shadow's Project

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

How to sell a book? – Know people who can sell your book for you hahaha great

• The Shadow's Project

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

how to sell a book? – write a book called how to sell a book … My god.. how do people fall for this nonsense?

• Me Time

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

This is great! I am a new author and these easy tips are super helpful. Your stuff is not overwhelming or scary because you break it into bits. . Thanks for the info! Be well . Enjoy your day.

• Leticia Pugh

Great! Thank You!

• Kareem Jackson ON THE SET

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Very nice, right on time for me…even it is a2017 vid…I am trying to finish my eBook and get it out there. Thanks, Kareem

• Anupam Kaushik

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Pertinent and quick, I like that and more than that your way of delivery is also very cool, I am going to write my second book and i will keep the advice in mind

• SONGS OF MAKAI

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

it has been three years ,i have been trrying all the method i hear of on youtube yet up to now my poetry book is not gaining its wings

• rabiya taj

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

Hello Mam Iam a newbie and wrote a book and know I don't no how to promote can you please help me to promote my e-book

• rabiya taj

Hi mam

• Joel Heath

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

That's going to be a problem, everyone thinks I'm an asshole… and I'm usually the one paying for dinner.

• Samwel Masaki

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

My name is Samuel from Africa Tanzania I've been watching your tips a lot .. I have an app called audisto can you go through and give me a feedback because I only use Facebook Instagram ads most of the time it successful but not most of the people buy and listen the stories please get me back when u go through thank you.

• Tom Scott

January 10, 2021 - 6:40 am

OK, so there are several important (and free) ways that nobody suggests:

1) Leverage the monster of all monstersβ€”that's right: Amazon. Find other books in your genre and comment helpfully on the reviews others have written for them, particularly books getting a lot of attention, i.e., best sellers or those with many reviews. We've done this and have gotten great results, especially when recommending another author whose work is nearly as important as ours for Americans. Our work has been called "the most important book written for Americans this century!" And, quite frankly, it is.

2) Take advantage of affiliate marketing. This is perhaps the most powerful tool and was essentially the way the internet operated pre-search engines. We've got our own affiliate program that's the best in the business, and I will give the source code to whoever wants it.

3) Offer a quiz on your site or something else interactive whereby you can offer a free or discounted book to anyone who gets a perfect score. We get a lot of activity on ours.

4) Have a referral program for anyone who buys your book or anything related to it on your website. Our referral program is 3-level: 5%, 8%, and 12%. Again, I’ve written the code and will give it to anyone who wants it.

5) Host a show and have guests on it wherein the discussion is related to your book or his/hers.

Visit http://www.stloiyf.com#affiliate for the affiliate program and to check out everything mentioned above. Visit https://www.familiesunite.org/fuan-store/ to see the affiliate program in action for our newest national partner.