DISCLAIMER: this is just a bit of fun! While the core advice is 100% true, I’m dressing it up with a bit of exaggerated affect. I’m nice and I believe in you!

And do note, as I say in the video: SELF CARE IS IMPORTANT! Harsh writing advice isn’t helpful if you’re in a really rough spot and need to take care of yourself. There’s a thin line between excuses and genuinely being in a bad place for writing. Take breaks if you need them and don’t be too hard on yourself.

(Also first books don’t always suck, but they usually need a LOT of work.)

#WritingAdvice

Add THE STARS WE STEAL (Jane Austen + The Bachelor, in space) on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40950392-the-stars-we-steal

Purchase signed copies of Brightly Burning from The Ripped Bodice! http://www.therippedbodicela.com/product/brightly-burning-alexa-donne-signed

Buy BRIGHTLY BURNING: https://www.amazon.com/Brightly-Burning-Alexa-Donne/dp/1328948935/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1500334638&sr=1-1

Get Brightly Burning on Audible.com! https://www.audible.com/pd/Brightly-Burning-Audiobook/B07H41CPVC?asin=B07H41CPVC&source_code=AUDOR2220912189OII

Goodreads:

Twitter:

Instagram:

Newsletter Sign-Up:

Newsletter

Website:

Home

Wattpad:

• Alexa Donne

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Whether you're energized by this video or bummed and you hate me, please check out the rest of my videos! My normal style is in-depth, informative videos with a positive spin (no, really). I post regular pep talks, plus real talk about traditional publishing (because it's no walk in the park). Welcome 🙂

• Phoenix ,

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

This video is giving me courage I didn’t know I had.

• Night Sky Ukulimba

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Umay you are the most honest and good at boosting confidence🤣

Edit: Oh yeah, thanks for the advice it really helps

• Julia Dragan

It did hit. Thank you

• Lavender Sage

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Theres a tip ive heard going around recently is to write fan fiction.

• Sarah King

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

This is my first time seeing your videos. (At least in this video) you are a b** and I absolutely love it. Harsh reality and more people need to hear it! Fantastic video 💖

• Haroldo Duarte

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

So true, I just launched mine and I was terrified.
    I'm glad to know that no one cares. 😍

• Willow Breeze

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I’ve been wanting to for a while and i’m trying to get into writing now! It’s more for a plot for my drawn ocs but we don’t talk about that

• Sally Balkin

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I've learned everything on how to play the piano. I've talked to hundreds of people in real life and on the internet about the piano. I know all the ways to put music together. So when I actually start to put my fingers to key board I should be able to manage a famous symphony straight up.

• Duru Baykal

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

“let go of that constant need for validation and attention” me, a Leo : oh 😶

• BlessedWifey&&Momma Aubry

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

This is almost perfect advice for anything writing and everything else ! Lol awesome I love it

• Nancy Beckley

Haha I AM writing while watching this video

• Nithiya Sree

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Who knows? Maybe harsh is exactly what I need right now.

• Patrick Dyer

HARSH WRITING ADVICE!

Write.

• Zubia Ashraf

Alexa throughout the video:
    No body cares!
    WRITE!
    WRITE!
    Whatever the fuck, WRITE!

• deborah barry

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Yes! Wrighting it for kicks and from my eyes only. Maybe just to explain to myself… why? And maybe just a good laugh at myself

• anaFICTION series

0:38

This made me feel guilty of deleting my first book in wattpad ‘-‘

• Hannah Fenzl

her: "nobody cares" me: oh… oh, okay LMAO

• DrumWild

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I saw the links for your books, and then realized that I don't care. Thanks for reminding me!!!!

• Citizen’s Guard

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

You have to decide if you still want to write all those novels kicking around in your head, even if you never make a single dime off them. Writing is an amazing thing. Making a living with your writing is a rare privilege only awarded to a select few. If you love writing, you should do it anyway. Of course it would be nice to make a ton of money and garner a following of adorning fans. With that being said, pouring your heart and soul into this craft is still worthwhile even if you never earn a penny, nor a single fan from it. It’s good for the mind, as well as the spirit. There are a ton of things writing can do for you, outside of fans and financial gain. Writing is a powerful tool you can use to help build that ever-elusive construct the self-help guides all refer to as: The Better You. I have certainly built a Better Me since I began writing. It’s made of coffee grounds, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, and multiple copies of Elements of Style (notice the implementation of rule #2, in spite of the fact I’m almost certain I broke other rules in the sentences preceding this one). It’s twelve feet tall. I keep it in the garage, locked away where it cannot feast upon household pets.
    Brandan Sanderson wrote twelve entire novels before he published a single one. Persistence is key. As cliche as that may be, it is true (and oh, how I wanted to type “absolutely true” there; adverb abuse is a real issue!). Also, it’s important to keep in mind: REVISION, REVISION, REVISION! The real writing doesn’t happen until the second or third draft!

• Marcus Valdes

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Something tells me this is the only video a new writer needs to watch for about the first decade.

• bored bud

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I love the video, I liked and subscribed💕💕💕💕💕
    Your channel is amazing as well💕💕💕

• Sophia S

“Write the damn book”

me sobbing: yes ma’am 👁💧👄💧👁

• Julgando O Livro Pela Capa

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Loved the video. My case was the opposite. My first book (in portuguese) was actually a hit between small publishers and 1 huge publisher, but I've been writng since I was 12 years old, non stop. Started with fanfiction, used to read a lot of books and studied grammar until my writing was good enough. My Journalism bachelor's helped me to develop my writing skills even more and there, I learnt to STOP procrastinating and start WRITING. I'm now working on the sequel of my book and loving every second of the proccess, even though sometimes I'm lazy or too tired from work. I don't care, I just love writing 😉

• Tony Ferraro

Thank you .. This is fantastic

• Thund3rBird

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Point of the video – u suck, now write

• Mike Song

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

This is a great video! The biggest mistake authors make is to assume all kinds of interest will develop without good old fashion hard work. I am on my fourth book and always start with this mental frame of mind. Just get it done. You will be glad you did.

• Birdman

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I appreciate your candor, but many writers only have one book that they desire to write. They DO have a revolutionary idea that nobody else has considered. This "new idea" is what serves as their motivation. True, the odds are against a 1st-time author striking gold, but you have presented what is tantamount to a no-win scenario for all new writers. …Perhaps you should have used a smaller brush?

• #1_Liar

Her: *being rough*
    Me: *tearing up and smiling at the same time*
    Also me: *subscribes*

• CheeseMafia

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Not me writing my first book that's not for school with a genius idea in my mind and then seeing the first tip-

• Jazzy Lucy

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Me: my drawings look like crap, I’m going to writing.

When she said, “writings hard.”

Me: (puts notebook down) mmm interesting. My drawing doesn’t look that bad at all.

• Infinity

Me: procrastinating on my novel for the 93739th time
    Alexa: go wrote the damn book and stop procrastinating
    Me: I liked that

• Sreya Mathew

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I am just gonna start writing my book. Probably gonna suck. But when I grow more as writer, l'll rewrite it coz I like the plot in my mind.

• Finley Chamberlain

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

"Watching this video isn't writing"
    My discarded outline on the floor next to me: told you so

• L X

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

I’m happy to see you’re still making content because I wanted to leave you a comment about this video. You give really amazing advice about the difference of being a writer and liking the idea of it.
    I’ve had this idea for a book for so long almost a year now. All this thinking about it and not actually doing. All this asking reddit tips on how to be a better writer when I don’t even write anything down.

• Jonathan Dewberry

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

3:00 I have family members who are absolutely convinced the world will be in for a bombshell when they publish their 'memoirs' and believe them, believvvvve you me when they read about that divorce? Wow!

• The Dictator of Theia

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Had to watch the video twice for motivation

• The Dictator of Theia

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

You were so right when you said that my first book would suck.

• The Fireblaster

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

Just discovered this channel and love it. On verge of completing my first novel and just laughing at the "Interneting isn't writing" bit because that's exactly what I used to do. Read a lot and write a lot is Stephen King's advice and the best advice on writing because it's true. Like you said, WRITE. BTW, I love editing and soon I will be editing my first novel and my hands are shaking because I'm so excited (I know, I know, you don't care, :). Now, off this channel and going to write. Keep the videos coming, I enjoy watching them during breaks.

• fox_paw23

She is basically
    Saying this about herself
    She's hating on and bragging about herself

• leihei emigli

👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾😘

• Jayden Beck

January 8, 2021 - 7:41 am

My confidence throughout this whole video: 📉📉📉 My motivation to write and get better: 📈📈📈