How to add more Kindle categories to increase your visibility on Amazon and sell more books.

❤️ [Subscribe] More videos coming soon: https://www.youtube.com/c/davidgaughran?sub_confirmation1

🎁 [FREE BOOK] My guide to self-publishing – Let’s Get Digital – is FREE on all retailers. Get your download links here: http://davidgaughran.com/digitalbook

🐱‍👤 [NINJA TIPS] My weekly marketing newsletter for writers is very handy and you get ANOTHER free book as a sign-up bonus, all about how to build an author platform: https://davidgaughran.com/newsletter

🚀 [SALES] This video is about categories, but if you want more direct help selling more books, these are the best promo sites in 2020: https://davidgaughran.com/promo-sites

🔎 [CATEGORIES] Uncover the Kindle categories for any book on Amazon with these handy tool: https://www.bklnk.com/categories5.php

🔧 [AMAZON] Want a whole book breaking down all the secrets of the Kindle Store, and how you can building marketing plans which work with the algorithms instead of fighting them? AMAZON DECODED is out now: https://davidgaughran.com/books/amazon-decoded/

• Maria Baias

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

It's very helpful to have the step-by-step process. Thank you! If I wanted to publish also to amazon.co.uk and others, do I have to do this for every amazon page, or is amazon.com enough and the information gets across all the amazon platforms?

• partnebren

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thank you for this. Just finished Amazon Decoded… great read by the way… and was looking into categories, best seller lists etc. and I've noticed something in these lists that disturb me a little. In the steampunk example on the screen I notice as you scroll down not many (less than a couple) seem to be actually steampunk (even a little bit ). Isn't this a problem if you're actually trying to compete with a book in the genre up against a space opera title that has a larger readership and naturally might sell more copies than a niche readership?

• bradass22

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

thank you david! Question though, how can I confirm these books have been added to the categories?. I realized I wrote the wrong ASIN for one of my books but I still got a confirmation email that they have all been added to the additional categories…
    Is there a way I can go online and check that these books are in more that 2 subgenres/bsr lists?
    thanks in advance!

• Amy Shojai

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Just sent updates to my thriller series via Author Central (they still say "up to two categories" and only reference kindle books for changes) so….we'll see what happens. Thanks David! Now to do the nonfiction. And then move on to the international stores. head-desk it never ends

• Allen Whipps

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thanks. I understand until I got to their "Follow the example below." I need an actual example. Let's say your example of an Irish historical novel for Kindle. I understand the hierarchy but not how to type it out for them. ISBN, Kindle store: .COM, eBook, ??? Separated by dashes, or on each line? I need a literal example and they provide rules for a format that I'm not following. But, thank you, this is still valuable and I thank you for taking the time to explain. It's the KDP instructions that don't click with me, not your presentation.

• Darcy Andrews

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thanks David. Always so interesting and helpful! Just FYI – I think the KW slot / category thing is still going. I did an experiment with my last erotica short. I put "erotic poetry" in one of the KW slots and lo and behold, it was put into that category. It's not erotic poetry, so I fixed it later, but I found it interesting that Zon automatically put it into that cat based on my KW info. I do wonder if this is how some of the red herrings end up in the cats.

• BR Kingsolver

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Recently, CS has been adding those cats starting with Kindle Store >> but not those starting with Books >> Do I have to use the ISBN for Books?

• Carolyn Mahony

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Really helpful video. Thanks very much.

• Dave Meidlinger

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Great video, David! It's helpful to have someone step through the whole process. Do you use Bklnk for just the category tool, or do you also create universal book links with them as well?

• Patrick Baumann

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Hi David, excellent stuff, thank you. Off-topic question: Which screen recorder is that?

• SUBURBAN DICTIONARY

Well done!

• Rick Hellewell

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thanks for the kind mention of my BKLNK site (pronounced 'book-link', BTW). you can use the CATALIZE tool to analyze the categories used by the best sellers, and tweak the list. The whole process is on my site: https://www.bklnk.com/read.php?x=Help-with-BKLNK-CATFIND-CATALIZE-version-2.pdf .
    With a bit of work and analysis, you can find the best 10 categories by using the CATFINDER and CATALIZER tools. It gives you the full category path you can send to the Zon. The technique I detail will do a lot of the work for you.
    And, of course, everything on BKLNK is free. Glad to help.

• W Fries

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

I'm a Yank living in Dublin running a press out of Australia…this was amazingly helpful from every perspective! Thank you very much David.

• Joseph Hodgson

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

I never knew investing in binary option is this profitable, it wasn't long ago when i saw post online of people giving testimonies about this Mr Nicholas Myron how he helped boost their financial status. I decided to give him a try with a little Investment of $600 and now i have got my payout, i decided to share the good news to you all … trading with him was the best decision i have ever made thank you so much, you can contact him on Instagram @nicholas__fxtrade and start earning profit weekly….

• Norman Huard

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thank you, David. This is a most helpful video. I have subscribed and clicked the notification bell. I have a question: I have six books in a fantasy series. When I email Amazon, will I have to do so for each book in the series or can all of them be covered in a single email? Thanks again for all you do to help us authors.

• Sharon Shahaf

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Hi David, Thanks for your great videos! I just wanted to mention that it seems that your screen capture program creates quite blurry videos, which makes it harder to watch.

• Sondra Turnbull

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Brilliant. I've been wanting this precise information for ages. Thank you for providing relevant information so generously.

• Ernest Dempsey

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Great video from the guy who keeps his finger on the publishing pulse better than anyone.

• Braylee Parkinson

January 13, 2021 - 6:57 pm

Thank you! I just finished your book on Bookbub. It was great! Will definitely pick up the book on Amazon as well.

• 21st Century Writer